- 1 What is considered rude in Laos?
- 2 What should I avoid in Laos?
- 3 Is Laos a dangerous country?
- 4 How can I be polite in Laos?
- 5 What are the do’s and don’ts in Laos?
- 6 Is Laos cheap?
- 7 What is the best time to visit Laos?
- 8 Is Laos safe for female Travellers?
- 9 Can you drink tap water in Laos?
- 10 What language is spoken in Laos?
- 11 What is the Laos currency?
What is considered rude in Laos?
Touching or showing affection in public will embarass your host. 2. In Laos your head is ‘high’, your feet ‘low’, using your feet for anything other than walking or playing sports is generally considered rude. Do not point with your feet/toes and do not have your feet raised/or propped up on tables.
What should I avoid in Laos?
11 Things You Should Never Do in Laos
- Don’t touch a monk.
- Don’t trek without a guide.
- Don’t argue with police.
- Don’t touch anyone with your feet.
- Don’t wear your shoes inside a home or temple.
- Don’t shout, argue or rush.
- Don’t make public displays of affection.
- Don’t buy antiques or wildlife products.
Is Laos a dangerous country?
Laos is a relatively safe country for travellers, although certain areas remain off-limits because of unexploded ordnance left over from decades of warfare. As tranquil as Laos can seem, petty theft and serious crimes do happen throughout the country – even on seemingly deserted country roads.
How can I be polite in Laos?
Always smile during greetings. The person who is socially inferior or younger should be the first to bow, but it is considered polite for the older/socially superior person to respond quickly. The higher the hands are held and the lower the bow, the greater the degree of respect.
What are the do’s and don’ts in Laos?
– Don ‘ t touch someone’s head or show affection in public as it will embarrass your host. – Don ‘ t touch the robe of the monk, anyone’s head, and women. – Don ‘ t wear shorts, tank top to the pagodas, temples or other religious places.
Is Laos cheap?
Though expensive relative to its neighbors, Laos is still a cheap country to visit. You really have to try to spend money here. Most attractions are near cities and don’t require you to go with an organized group. You can either rent a motorbike or hire any number of tuk-tuk drivers.
What is the best time to visit Laos?
The small, landlocked country of Laos is best visited between October and April, when the weather’s warm and dry throughout. River travel is best between November and January, when high water levels make passage easy along Laos’ main waterway, the Mekong River.
Is Laos safe for female Travellers?
Laos is considered to be one of the safest Asian countries for women. Solo female travelers in Laos should follow standard safety protocol by avoiding walking in unlit areas at night and staying aware of their surroundings.
Can you drink tap water in Laos?
Tap water safety in all of Laos According to the WHO, tap water is safe for consumption for 16% of the country. There is a divide between rural and urban areas, tap water is safe to drink in 26% of urban areas, while it’s only safe to drink in 11% of rural areas.
What language is spoken in Laos?
Laos is among the least developed and poorest countries in Asia, but significant economic growth in the past decade has benefited the country. Challenges remain, however, and the Lao economy remains dependent on external demand for its natural resources, particularly mining, hydropower and forestry.
What is the Laos currency?