- 1 What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
- 2 How much money can you make as a tour guide?
- 3 Is it hard to become a tour guide?
- 4 How do I get a job as a tour guide?
- 5 How long does a tour guide course take?
- 6 Is tour guide a good career?
- 7 What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
- 8 Are tour guides well paid?
- 9 How many hours does a tour guide work?
- 10 What should a tour guide say?
- 11 How do I become a successful tour guide?
- 12 What is a tour guide job description?
What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
In order to be registered as a tourist guide in South Africa, a person must meet the following minimum requirements:
- must be at least 21 years of age;
- must be a South African citizen or be in possession of a valid work permit;
- must have undergone training with a CATHSSETA-accredited training provider;
How much money can you make as a tour guide?
While ZipRecruiter is seeing annual salaries as high as $96,000 and as low as $13,500, the majority of International Tour Guide salaries currently range between $24,000 (25th percentile) to $41,000 (75th percentile) with top earners (90th percentile) making $62,500 annually across the United States.
Is it hard to become a tour guide?
It’s a competitive field, and you’ll have to work hard to keep your coveted role. You need to be dedicated, but you also need to know how to have fun. You’ll live out of a suitcase, answer hundreds of questions every day, and work with many different personalities and cultures from all over the world.
How do I get a job as a tour guide?
You can also become a tour guide through an apprenticeship or traineeship. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require Year 10. Entry to this occupation may also be improved if you have relevant experience in the hospitality or tourism industries.
How long does a tour guide course take?
The full time courses are 2 weeks (10 days) long made up of theoretical and practical training. Thereafter there is a period of 6 weeks in which to complete the set Unit Standards Assessments and a written examination at the end.
Is tour guide a good career?
A tour guide gets the opportunity to see the world. It is a job with no time limit. You have to work for a long 12 hours in a day and may be that on the next day you will be free. It is a good career industry but very competitive.
What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
Disadvantages of Being a Tour Guide
- Tour guides often have to work on weekends.
- Your schedule can change without prior notice.
- You don’t make much money as a tour guide.
- Many tour guides need a second job to survive.
- Short-term contracts are pretty common.
- Seasonality plays a big role in the life of tour guides.
Are tour guides well paid?
Tour guides generally earn from $50 – $150 per day in base pay. In addition, most guides receive passenger tips, which can increase earnings substantially. The company tips a minimum of $20 per day, but you’re salaried and get benefits.
How many hours does a tour guide work?
Hours/Travel Generally have a set schedule each week. May work part time or full time, but most work less than 40 hours a week. May work more during the summer when more people take vacations.
What should a tour guide say?
Here you find some examples of welcoming.
- Welcome. I’m Helina, your guide for this tour. I’ll tell you all about the things you will see.
- Hello everyone. My name is Tiiu.
- Dear guests, Let me introduce myself.
- Hi, everybody. I’m your tour guide Natalja.
- Hi, everybody.
How do I become a successful tour guide?
10 Tips for Being a Good Tour Guide
- Face the crowd, not what you’re talking about.
- Be personal.
- Tell a story (historical or contemporary).
- Get moving right away.
- Don’t worry about being perfect.
- Get help to get organized.
What is a tour guide job description?
Tour Guides are responsible for helping people to visit unfamiliar areas. They usually make special trips with groups of tourists in order to show them important places of cities. They may work in travel agencies or museums.