Volunteer in Laos, what type of visa do I need?

The type of visa you need depends on how you'd like to volunteer (there are many options), here are 2 options that I know for sure.

Option 1: Volunteer in Laos through United National Volunteer (UNV) www.unv.org

If/when you're accepted as an UNV, the local support staff will take care of your visa as well as your dependents', if any. Usually they will get you a Courtesy Visa (B1). This is a type of work visa that allows you to stay for 6 months or longer. More info on (B1) Visa http://laosvisas.com/.

In my opinion this volunteer option is the best if you want to volunteer in Lao because you're entitled to living allowance, housing, air ticket plus other welfare. However, it can be difficult to get into the programme and application process takes quite a long time too.

Option 2: Volunteer through other organisations such as Travel-to-teach, and OpenMind Prject.

If you chose to volunteer through these organizations, you'll have to take care of your own visa. And the visa type they advised volunteers to get is a visa-on-arrival (tourist visa). It's very easy though to get a visa on arrival, view this page for procedures http://laosvisas.com/

Other Articles:
Vietnam Visa Applications | Laos Embassy | Thailand Visa | Cambodia Visa